Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Inspiring Nara

    
   Japan's first capital, Nara is a stunning place located in the Kansai region of Japan. When we think about  traveling in Japan we usually think about Tokyo or Kyoto and usually Nara isn’t in the list. But, Nara has a rich History with many temples shrines and ruins.
    


    One of the most stunning sightseeing is the temple Todai-ji, where the world's largest bronze statue of the Buddha is situated. This statue is something beyond words … I have seen many pictures of the “big “ Buddha, but none of them were able to express what that statue is . It is definitely something you have to experience on your own to fully appreciate.
    
Daibutsu of Todai-ji: Height: 14.98 m,Face: 5.33 m ,Eyes: 1.02 m. It weighs 500 tonnes





Deer in Nara is sacred, designated as National Treasures and  protected as such


Omikuji :  random fortunes written on strips of paper at Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples in Japan



Incense burner at Todai-ji temple:  the smoke is believed to have healing power


  Besides the Temples and shrines, Nara has something else, difficult to describe. I guess the beautiful trees changing leaves in the autumn the peaceful lakes, the deer everywhere makes Nara a unique place, where Japanese families gather to enjoy themselves.







      Observe the japanese eating, talking to each other and playing with the deer  makes me realize how rush and work isn’t everything in the Japanese people’s life . Praying and admiring the nature are also important for them.


For more information about Nara, check this website: 
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2165.html

2 comments:

  1. You have some wonderful photos here. You capture Nara in the autumn quite nicely. But I must disagree with Nara being off the tourist list. It is a major destination for foreigners and Japanese alike. Lots of children go to Nara for their school trips. And Nara is a major destination this year in celebration of its 1300th anniversary of the ancient capital.

    http://visualanthropologyofjapan.blogspot.com/2010/10/1300th-anniversary-of-nara-heijo-kyo.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Well , I didn't know that... I never had heard about Nara in Brazil, and I asked different friends from different countries if they new about Nara before coming to Japan and none of them did ! I still keep asking people after reading your comment and everybody gives me same answer : "I never thought about Nara before living in the Kansai area.". I guess my mistake was to generalize based in what I heard from my people around me ! :(

    ReplyDelete